Sunday, January 18, 2009

Letter #2

Jonathan -

Whew! Two days in a row! Mom was upset tonight because it was late, I didn't finish my homework, and I still wanted to stay up to write. I haven't told her about this writing venture yet as I want to surprise her. She went to sleep, and here I am.

For several months I've been thinking about family legacy. My grandfather grew up barefoot on a farm in East Texas with his two sisters. By the time he was 16 or 17, he was a college graduate from Texas A&M and an officer in the U.S. Air Force. By the time he died in the 1990's he, his wife, his sisters, and their husbands all had their masters degree. What a foundational shift in the direction of our family tree!!! Almost everything I have in life today can be owed, in part, to his hard work and determination. It leaves me wondering, though, what will I do for my descendants?

I'm currently getting my masters but I don't know that my heart is fully in it. Perhaps this is God setting me up for good things to come. I want you to know that God's done that many many times in my life in the last five years. But... then what? Perhaps the first step of greatness is realizing where you are; future steps point you in a direction and after that comes the long obedience in the same direction. Some day maybe we can talk about what your contribution was to your family. Wow! Think of that...

It's another late night and we have big wigs coming into the office tomorrow. I love you, Jonathan! I can't wait to see you in a month or two...

No comments:

Post a Comment