Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Letter #5

Jonathan -

At the time of this writing I am pursuing my masters in software engineering. This semester I'm taking a course in "Software Management." If this is the stuff my bosses do at work week after week, they must be well compensated. I cannot imagine how this drudgery inspires anyone into engineering management!

The first assignment for the course is to come up with a work breakdown structure for the semester. That is to say, we itemize every task for every assignment, estimate the time it takes to complete each task, then record the actual time it took. This helps forcast due dates and helps a person refine their estimation techniques. While I'm new to the process, I'm predicting I have 60 hours of work due in 48 hours. Over the course of the semester, I'm estimating 19 hours per week until mid march, (the week you and I finally meet!)

Oh, and work is asking for 10% overtime.

I hope this course is worth it...

It's a late night, and I need to get to bed. I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment